In the summer of 1915, the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division was about to join the 1st Division in France to form the Canadian Corps. A third division was already in the works. New units were needed for the expanding Corps and replacements were needed by the units already fighting in the front lines. Across Canada new infantry battalions were being authorized to meet those needs. In Edmonton, two new battalions started recruiting – the 63rd and the 66th.