The Loyal Edmonton Regiment Military Museum is located in the Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage Centre, the building where the regiment was based from 1920 to 1965. The building is shared with the City of Edmonton Archives and the Telephone Historical Centre.
World War 1 Remembered
49th Canadian Overseas Infantry Battalion
1915 – January to March
Having just gone overseas with the 19th Alberta Dragoons Special Service Squadron in October 1914, Lieut. Colonel William (Billy) Griesbach arrived back in Edmonton on the morning of December 26 with orders from Ottawa to recruit and train a new battalion of infantry. The 49th Battalion started recruiting men on January 4, 1915, and was up to strength in eight days. As soon as the initial recruiting, medical examination, and documentation of the other ranks was completed training began.